Last updated on March 15th, 2018 at 10:16 am
Daddy’s Favorite Sweet Cornbread Recipe
Have you tried this recipe? Click here & leave a review to let others know what you think!
Growing up, cornbread was a staple in my house. My Daddy loved to make chili with his favorite sweet cornbread.
I never really cared for the chili – it was always too spicy for me – but I made a meal of the sweet cornbread instead!
My Mom would crumble up the cornbread in a bowl and fill it with milk. I still eat cornbread this way whenever my hubby makes chili.
As an adult with kids, learning to cook was a necessity.
When my hubby started making chili I just had to have Daddy’s Sweet Cornbread to go with it.
My Dad just eyes it every time he makes it so he couldn’t tell me how much of everything I needed. Luckily, my Mom had it memorized.
It was a hit with my hubby and kids and I’m sure it will be a hit with yours too!
Don’t forget to pin it so you can make it the next time you are hankering for some cornbread or looking for a new recipe to try.
Disclaimer: Do you love getting stuff for free? So do I! You can thank my affiliates & sponsors for all the free content provided on this website! They allow me to earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase after clicking one of my affiliate links. To find out more about my affiliates & sponsors click here.
Click on an image to view it full size.
- 1.5 Cups Self Rising Cornmeal
- 1.5 Cups Self Rising Flour
- 1/4 Cup Cooking Oil
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup of Milk
- 1 Cup of Sugar
- Vegetable Shortening – for greasing the pan
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Grease the pan with vegetable shortening.
- Notes: You can bake this in an iron skillet like my Daddy used to, or you can bake it in a cake pan or even muffin pans. If you do use a muffin pan make sure to cut your cook time in half. For the photos, I used a silicone cake pan I bought at Aldi. I seriously love how well the cornbread turned out in this pan. It was my first time cooking with a silicone pan and I was impressed with the results. The cornbread was really moist on the inside with a slightly crisp outside. Absolutely perfect! You can purchase one like I used for this recipe on Amazon by clicking here.
- Pour/sift all of the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. If you don’t have a sifter you can just use a whisk.
- Add the wet ingredients and whisk together until well combined. It should look similar to cake batter.
- Bake for 20-25 min in a cast iron skillet, cake pan or casserole dish. If you are using a muffin pan bake it for 10-15 min. Make sure they are done by inserting a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean it’s done.
Want to give this recipe a try? Don’t forget to pin it!
Recipes I Recommend
Did you like the Daddy’s Favorite Sweet Cornbread Recipe? Here are some more recipes I have published that I think you might like 🙂
Get a coupon code for a FREE digital download from my shop when you sign up for my newsletter! You will also receive a weekly digest of the newest posts published on my blog every Monday at 4:00 pm. Subscribe now and don’t miss out!
About the Author
Uneeda “Danielle” Phipps – Owner/Designer
Hi there! Thank you for taking the time to read my blog! As a mom and business owner, I know that time is precious and I am honored you chose to spend that time here with me :-).
If you would like to find out more about who I am and what I do make sure to read my about page. If you don’t want to miss out on all the free recipes, patterns & tutorials I share, make sure to follow me on your favorite social media site.
Not ready to leave? Browse my blog and see if anything else peaks your interest!
Recommended Products from Amazon
Who doesn’t love to shop on Amazon?! I know I spend a lot of time there browsing, reading reviews on products, and shopping with my prime free 2-day shipping! I buy a lot of my craft supplies and personal items from there. As a member of their affiliate program, I love them even more! Here are some products you might want to check out if you love Amazon too: